Fret-Stressing

This is me. This is about my life and a way for me to keep my Sanity. Long Live Rock.....

Name:
Location: cape coral, florida, United States

I'm 40 yrs old going on 25ish. I love to sit in front of my 16 track digital recorder and lay some tracks down...I love being with my children

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Its all about the boys....

I was on blogville this morning and reading Gary's blog and I saw a comment from Joseph. So I went to his site and read about he and his dad. I felt he missed him so much and I envy him.
I told him my real dad left us when I was 3 my sister Kathy 4 and Gina 1 1/2. He would pick us up on Sundays and take us to my grandmothers home where we palyed with our cousins and he would sleep on the couch, nursing a hangover.
My mother would tell me stories of when I would be sitting on the front porch steps with my baseball glove waiting for him to come. Of course he wouldnt and I would cry and hide in my bedroom. The glove would end up in the bushes and not be taken back out. I do remember coming across the glove in the fall. It was wet, moldy and had a musty leathery stench to it that reminded me of a cold fall day. Wet leaves stuck inside, bugs sticking out of the holes and the leather strings dangling from the wrist.
I changed my name to my step-dads when I was 25. I figured he was a better father since he took the responability when I was 10 years old. He was always to busy. He was the owner of some of the most respectfull auto dealerships in the area. So he had little time for me and my needs. My mom did all the work with the cubscouts and stuff. I remember going to the cubscout Holloween costume competition. All the other boys fathers did thier costumes and they were high tech. My mother, being the great seamstress that she was she made me as a teabag. She took a white sheet and with a wire coathanger and some old Maple leaves from the yard turned me into a teabag.
I won 2nd place and I was happy that my mother was the one who helped me. I could sense though that the other boys would be looking at me in a way like that had me beat or they were better than me because they had dads there and I didnt. I know it sounds evil but its true, even the dads thought the same. In the early 70s the dads thought a woman was a joke in the raising of a boy the way a man would. But we showed them.
I have a logitech camera on my computer and the kids have one also. I will call them up and I will tell the bedtime stories or play guitar for them and we can see each other. I will also start help them with the homework if they need it. I love the camera, but with all good things they have glitches. I will sob to myself after we say goodnight and kiss the camera. Its great to have this but not to hold them or kiss them goodnight tears away at my soul. Im doing everything in my power not to be like my dad (s). And I wont let it happen. Tonight I will do the same. This time Im going to show Mikey how to play guitar. I bought him a nice acoustic and this camera thing will work out great......

8 Comments:

Blogger Dan L. said...

Michael;

...Just caught your message. Many thanks to you for your kindness and prayers.

Enjoy the coming Holidays with your family!

--Dan & the rest

2:14 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I loved reading this posting Michael, very poigniant. It takes hard work and dedication to raise kids these days.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Debby said...

Hi Michael - Thanks for writing to me. I wanted to tell you I do know how lucky I am. Its funny I have 5 pictures of me and Pete when I got to meet him and 4 are hanging on my wall (he signed them at the following concert I went to) and every day I walk by and see the pictures, I am very thankful that a dream was fulfilled ager 23 years. Best money I have ever spent.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Michael,

If you are putting in the time and the effort, your kids will know that. I think sometimes adults forget how intelligent children can be. They see past all of our acting, right to the truth. If you genuinely want to be a part of your kids lives, they will see it and appreiciate it. It seems like you do.

It's really nice to see that kind of sentiment. I'd love you to give my parents some lessons. :p

You seem like a good man.
(Re Buffet: Go parrot-heads! :D)

Jack

6:12 PM  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

Michael,

After reading the first paragraph, I felt I was responsible for depressing you. As I read on, I felt I had a small part in sparking your reflections toward your children. That made me feel better about my post. Raising children is a project that never seems to end, but a joy filled project it is. My son Sean Joseph is now 25 and a drummer in his own band. He was constantly exposed to The Who as a child. Even in the womb at 8 months he attended a Who show at Reunion Arena in Dallas. He is still one of my projects as I am sure that I have become one of his.

Joseph Benfield

12:51 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Michael,
I'm so sorry to hear you might have glaucoma, I'm hoping this is an early stage discovery and that you can get good treatment for it. My thoughts and hopes are with you partner.

Take care.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

I love this post and think it is great you are breaking the cycle your Dad set up. Good for you.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Mate you can only post ONE time on the Fan Map. If you have cool pics then post them here dear on your wonderful blog! I will read as well as others! Now which one of the three do you want me to leave up or would you like me to delete them all so you can start over. Sorry if you misunderstood!

Cheers!
Molly

6:22 AM  
Blogger PTfan said...

So sad but I'm so proud of you for being so conscientious in your father role. It sounds like you make it a priority to let your kids know that you love them. That is very important. Bravo to you!

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home